Pink Notebook



I know what you're thinking: Everything is so pink. I love the color pink, okay? My keys are pink, my shell's pink, as well as my journal. 

During my down times, I love to talk to someone who I know that's wholeheartedly listening but tehre are times when writing my mind and heart out is the best. 

I had my ups and downs during my childhood, I think everyone's got their fair share of childhood dilemmas. One day I decided to just write my heart out, and who knew it would end up in the school papers?

What I'm going to share to you now is something that I have written back in High School. Reading this still kind of makes me emotional, remembering everything back when I was 14-ish years old.

Here goes nothing!

Cinderella's Sister



Have you heard of Cinderella’s story? I am sure you know the story pretty well. Cinderella is the girl whom everybody adores, the girl who brought smiles to everyone, the girl who is nearly perfect. Sadly, I do not play the role of Cinderella in my own fairytale; instead I am her sister, not her evil step sister but just a sister. Do not get the wrong idea, I do not dislike my sister, in fact I love her very much. She’s always there for me, giving me a helping hand and always cheering me up—she is Cinderella after all.


I grew up as an average girl, a girl who loves to make people smile and laugh. Honestly, I am the most carefree and positive thinker in our family, I don’t know why but it seems like I always see the silver lining in between the dark clouds. But I am human too, I get hurt.
Every time I come home, my grandmother would always ask me if I have done something as excellent as my sister, and I have nothing to tell her, I can’t even lie. My grandmother’s job is to remind me of how brilliant my sister is, she would always tell me to be like her. She would always compare me to my sister. But then I realized, If I will be depressed over it, it’s as If I’m contrasting myself to my sister. So I thought of it positively. I started receiving her comments as the flame in my heart—the flame that would help me do better, the flame that would help me bloom.


Since then I started having confidence in myself. I became an officer in several clubs, like the school paper and The English Club. I started developing my own skills and talents and used them to glorify the Lord. I discovered my fondness in free writing, debating and radio broadcasting. I was able to uncover the leader in me and aspired for being a C.A.T. (Citizen Advancement Training) Officer and became the S3 Major in Operation. I was surprised when I was awarded as Promenade Queen though, since I did not really aim for it, but I guess God has a reason for everything; and I believe it was for me to build more self-esteem.


I exercised my abilities and skills. I won several competitions in extemporaneous speaking and radio broadcasting. I am proud of myself, and so are my parents, I’m sure the Lord is proud too! My achievements may have not reached the number of my sister’s attainments, but I feel as though I have accomplished more, because I did my best and I did it myself.

The academic achievements alone cannot define me as a person, but with the acceptance of my abilities and true self completely delineates me as a person.

As I look back at the times when I listened to my grandmother and struggled to cope with her expectations, I realized that I have kept myself in my own shell for too long. I thank her though; her adverse feedbacks toward me became my motivation—the fuel that blazed my determination. Her unenthusiastic opinion may have been the dark clouds, but when I look at it with an optimistic attitude it might have also been the silver lining in between.

In the story of Cinderella, she had two step sisters, Drazella and Anastasia. They felt insecure towards Cinderella, but then the latter realized that she was a different person and that she had a different ability. She learned to accept her true self and now she is living a happy life. Just like Anastasia, I learned how to accept and love myself, with the help of the Lord and my family. I guess one does not have to be Cinderella to have a happy ending after all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author